- Welcome to Our New Member: Cale Jacobs, University of Kentucky; Chris Raymond, Southwestern University; Bret Freemyer, University of Hawaii – Manoa; Dalton McDaniel, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (A.T. Still University)
- The Executive Committee is having their next quarterly call in February-March 2016.
- ATOAC was well represented at the Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Associations’ Annual Meeting in January 2016 with 8 members present and 4 presenting: Ken Cameron, Lindsay Distefano, Jeffrey Driban, and Johanna Hoch.
- The ATOAC recognized Lakewood Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine’s seminar on Raising Awareness of Post-Traumatic Osteoarthritis among Athletic Trainers & Preventing Concussions. Four ATOAC members were invited to present after the organizer saw our recent article in the NATA News: Troy Blackburn, Ken Cameron, Brian Pietrosimone, and Timothy Tourville.
- Thanks to Ralph Reiff who recently completed his time as the NATA’s representative to the Chronic Osteoarthritis Management Initiative. The NATA will continue to be well represented by Ken Cameron.
ATOAC Annual Meeting
The ATOAC Annual Meeting will be held on Tuesday June 21st at the Baltimore Convention Center from 8:00am – 12:00pm. If you plan on attending this free event please register by emailing Brian Pietrosimone ASAP. We have attached our tentative schedule and we are excited about focusing discussion around two specific topics (1. Biomarkers and OA and 2. Neuromuscular Alterations following Joint Injury) that have been recommended by the membership.
We will be soliciting abstracts for consideration to be presented during brief 10 minute presentations prior to a panel like discussion (see attached tentative schedule). We would ask if you have a short presentation on a project that you are working on or have completed that fits these topic to please send in a short abstract to Brian Pietrosimone ASAP by April 15th. The abstract should be ~ 200 words with (Background, Aims, Methods, Results and Conclusion).
- Goetschius J, Hart JM. Knee-Extension Torque Variability and Subjective Knee Function in Patients With A History of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Athl Train. 2015 Dec 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chang E, Norcross MF, Johnson ST, Kitagawa T, Hoffman M. Relationships between explosive and maximal triple extensor muscle performance and vertical jump height. J Strength Cond Res. 2015 Feb;29(2):545-51. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000000652.
- Kuenze C, Blemker SS, Hart JM. Quadriceps function relates to muscle size following ACL reconstruction. J Orthop Res. 2016 Jan 14. doi: 10.1002/jor.23166. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kucera KL, Marshall SW, Wolf SH, Padua DA, Cameron KL, Beutler AI. Association of Injury History and Incident Injury in Cadet Basic Military Training. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016 Jan 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Glaviano NR, Huntsman S, Dembeck A, Hart JM, Saliba S. Improvements in kinematics, muscle activity and pain during functional tasks in females with patellofemoral pain following a single patterned electrical stimulation treatment. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2015 Dec 30;32:20-27. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2015.12.007. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cuchna JW, Hoch MC, Hoch JM. The interrater and intrarater reliability of the functional movement screen: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Phys Ther Sport. 2015 Dec 18. pii: S1466-853X(15)00139-X. doi: 10.1016/j.ptsp.2015.12.002. [Epub ahead of print]
- DiStefano LJ, Marshall SW, Padua DA, Peck KY, Beutler AI, de la Motte SJ, Frank BS, Martinez JC, Cameron KL. The Effects of an Injury Prevention Program on Landing Biomechanics Over Time. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Jan 20. pii: 0363546515621270. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brooks MA, Peterson K, Biese K, Sanfilippo J, Heiderscheit BC, Bell DR. Concussion Increases Odds of Sustaining a Lower Extremity Musculoskeletal Injury After Return to Play Among Collegiate Athletes. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Jan 19. pii: 0363546515622387. [Epub ahead of print]
- Garcia SC, Dueweke JJ, Mendias CL. Optimal Joint Positions for Manual Isometric Muscle Testing. J Sport Rehabil. 2016 Jan 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Slater LV, Hart JM. Muscle Activation Patterns During Different Squat Techniques. J Strength Cond Res. 2016 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tourville TW, Shultz SJ, Vacek PM, Knudesn EJ, Bernstein IM, Tourville KJ, Hardy DM, Johnson RJ, Slauterbeck JR, Beynnon BD. Evaluation of an Algorithm to Predict Menstrual-Cycle Phase at the Time of Injury. J Athl Train. 2016 Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hayley M. Ericksen HM, Thomas AC, Gribble PA, Armstrong C, Rice M, Pietrosimone B. Jump-landing Biomechanics following a 4-week Real-time Feedback Intervention and Retention. Clin Biomech. 2016 Jan 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lo GH, McAlindon TE, Hawker GA, Driban JB, Price LL, Song J, Eaton CB, Hochberg MC, Jackson RD, Kwoh CK, Nevitt M, & Dunlop DD. Addressing concerns regarding a newly proposed knee osteoarthritis composite symptom score. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016 Jan 27. [Epub ahead of print]
Paul Ullucci – The William “Pinky” Newell Address (Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association)
February 2016: Ossur Academy’s Knee Osteoarthritis: Defining Standards of Clinical Management
Jeffrey Driban: Characterizing Accelerated Knee Osteoarthritis
Brian Pietrosimone: Exercise and Strength Training for Knee OA Patients – Compliance and Outcome
** NOTE: If we are missing anything or you would like to add something to next month’s newsletter please let Jeff Driban know and it will be add to next month’s newsletter. **