- Welcome to Our New Member: Dustin Grooms, Ohio University; Lee Weidauer, South Dakota State University; Elizabeth Parke, University of Hawaii; Samantha Andrews, University of Hawaii
- The Executive Committee is having their next quarterly call on March 7, 2016 at 10:00 (ET). Contact Jeff Driban for call-in details.
- On behalf of ATOAC, the Executive Committee agreed to sign the Arthritis Foundation’s Letter of Support to ask Congress to designate a $20 million stand-alone arthritis program within the DoD Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (4 votes supported the motion, 1 vote abstained).
- Show your support for recent efforts to raise awareness and research funding to address the growing burden arthritis is placing on our active duty military personnel and veterans.
- In the first 8 weeks of 2016 ATOAC members have offered 9 osteoarthritis-related lectures.
- Please let ATOAC members know about your talks and news coverage of your work. It’s a great way for the Consortium to highlight how athletic trainers are raising awareness and advancing research. Email Jeff Driban any updates.
ATOAC Annual Meeting
The ATOAC Annual Meeting will be held on Tuesday June 21st at the Baltimore Convention Center from 8:00am – 12:00pm. If you plan on attending this free event please register by contacting Brian Pietrosimone ASAP. We have attached our tentative schedule and we are excited about focusing discussion around two specific topics (1. Biomarkers and OA and 2. Neuromuscular Alterations following Joint Injury) that have been recommended by the membership.
We will be soliciting abstracts for consideration to be presented during brief 10 minute presentations prior to a panel like discussion (see attached tentative schedule). We would ask if you have a short presentation on a project that you are working on or have completed that fits these topic to please send in a short abstract to Brian Pietrosimone by April 15th. The abstract should be ~ 200 words with (Background, Aims, Methods, Results and Conclusion).
- Werner BC, Norte GE, Hadeed MM, Park JS, Miller MD, Hart JM. Peroneal Nerve Dysfunction due to Multiligament Knee Injury: Patient Characteristics and Comparative Outcomes After Posterior Tibial Tendon Transfer. Clin J Sport Med. 2016 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu SH, Driban JB, Eaton CB, McAlindon TE, Harrold LR, Lapane KL. Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Symptoms Change in Knee Osteoarthritis. Am J Med. 2016 Feb 1. pii: S0002-9343(16)30077-8. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2015.12.029. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gribbin TC, Slater LV, Herb CC, Hart JM, Chapman RM, Hertel J, Kuenze CM. Differences in hip-knee joint coupling during gait after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2016 Jan 23;32:64-71. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2016.01.006. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pamukoff DN, Pietrosimone B, Lewek MD, Ryan ED, Weinhold, Lee DR, Blackburn JT. Whole body and local muscle vibration immediately improves quadriceps function in individuals with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016 Feb 08. Doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2016.01.021. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ericksen HM1, Thomas AC2, Gribble PA3, Armstrong C4, Rice M4, Pietrosimone B. Jump-landing biomechanics following a 4-week real-time feedback intervention and retention. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2016 Jan 26;32:85-91. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2016.01.005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jacobs CA, Christensen CP, Karthikeyan T. An Intact Anterior Cruciate Ligament at the Time of Posterior Cruciate Ligament-Retaining Total Knee Arthroplasty Was Associated With Reduced Patient Satisfaction and Inferior Pain and Stair Function. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Jan 21. pii: S0883-5403(16)00086-3. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2016.01.026. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pamukoff DN, Pietrosimone B, Lewek MD, Ryan ED, Weinhold PS, Lee DR, Blackburn JT. Immediate effect of vibratory stimuli on quadriceps function in healthy adults. Muscle Nerve. 2016 Feb 13;
- Waterman BR, Rensing N, Cameron KL, Owens BD, Pallis M. Survivorship of Meniscal Allograft Transplantation in an Athletic Patient Population. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Feb 17. pii: 0363546515626184. [Epub ahead of print]
- Burnham JM, Howard JS, Hayes CB, Lattermann C. Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction With Concomitant Tibial Tubercle Transfer: A Systematic Review of Outcomes and Complications. Arthroscopy. 2016 Feb 13. pii: S0749-8063(15)00980-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2015.11.039. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jacobs CA, Morris BJ, Sciascia AD, Edwards TB. Comparison of satisfied and dissatisfied patients 2 to 5 years after anatomic total shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Feb 17. pii: S1058-2746(15)00720-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2015.12.001. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chachula LA, Cameron KL, Svoboda SJ. Association of Prior Injury With the Report of New Injuries Sustained During CrossFit Training. Athl Train Sports Health Care. 2016;8(1):28-34.
- Jackson K, Simon JE, Docherty CL. Extended Use of Kinesiology Tape and Balance in Participants With Chronic Ankle Instability. J Athl Train: 2016; 51(1): 16-21.
- Bell DR, Post EG, Trigsted SM, Hetzel S, McGuine TA, Brooks MA. Prevalence of Sport Specialization in High School Athletics: A 1-Year Observational Study. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Feb 26. pii: 0363546516629943. [Epub ahead of print]
Lindsey Lepley – NATA Foundation’s Doctoral Dissertation Award
Jeffrey Driban – NATA Foundation’s New Investigator Award
Joe Hart – NATA Fellow
Randy Schmitz – NATA Fellow
Tricia Hubbard-Turner – NATA Fellow
** NOTE: If we are missing anything or you would like to add something to next month’s newsletter please let Jeff Driban know and it will be add to next month’s newsletter. **